Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Unspoken" By Sarah Rees Brennan

"Unspoken" by Sarah Rees Brennan is an extremely well-written book - though the ending did leave me a tad crazed.
Kami Glass talks to a boy she's never met before - in her head. Talk about having an imaginary friend! For as long as she can remember she's been having conversations with a boy named Jared in her mind - and has been freaking out several people along the way.
Over the years she's learned to keep it to herself though, and has even questioned whether Jared is real or all her imagination. No matter, she wouldn't know what to do without his ever-presence in her mind.
Kami is just an awesome character. She's strong-willed, brave, extremely funny, and smart. We meet our lovely heroine right as the Lynburn family is moving back to Sorry-in-the-Vale.
As the head of the school newspaper, Kami is always looking for a good story. And, the stories -or lack thereof- that surround the mysterious Lynburn family have her extremely intrigued.
Twin sisters Lillian and Rosalind Lynburn moved away, along with Lillian's husband Rob, several years ago and have finally returned to live in their ancient mansion at the center of town with the slightly morbid decor. Only, they aren't alone.
They've brought with them their sons Ash and Jared - cousins who cannot stand one another, and couldn't be more different.
Oddly enough, one of the boys is extremely familiar to Kami, even if he is different from what she ever expected.
What would you do if your imaginary friend turned out to be real?
I really enjoyed this story. It was different than the handful of books I've read recently, and Kami is a very unique, endearing character I'm sure to remember for some time.
Honestly, I did not expect several of the things that happened toward the end of the book - complete shockers to me! (Especially the person behind the animal sacrifices!) And, yes! The ending is driving me crazy! I even had a dream the night I finished the book that Sarah had released several more chapters of the story, I can't remember what happened in said chapters, but I know I was even more upset when I woke up that morning :(
Anyway, in all seriousness, you need to read this book! You won't regret it, I promise!
There's love, friendship, mystery, intrigue.. the list goes on!

5(million) STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment