Monday, October 1, 2012

'Starling' by Lesley Livingston Review

Let me start by saying, I LOVED Lesley's 'Wondrous Strange' Series... Unfortunately, this one fell a little short.
It very well may be because it's been a little while since I read this previous series, but even if I hadn't read 'Wondrous Strange,' I think I would have felt the same way.

It was an extremely interesting plot, Mason was a very likeable main character and Fennrys Wolf was incredibly swoon-worthy, but it just wouldn't keep my attention.

It started well; with a huge oak tree crashing through the rainbow stained-glass window of the new gymnasium at Mason's school, and a naked dude sprouting from said tree to save the handful of students inside from the shadowy creatures that also sprouted from said tree. But, shortly after that I started getting distracted.
I liked the fact that it was told in differing points of view! We got a lot more information, a lot faster than we would have if it had only been in Mason's POV. But, I feel like it contributed to my distracted state - if only because I learned so much without the main character that it took a little away from her.
Mason and Fennrys' relationship was a bit different at first. I did enjoy his Romeo approach to contacting her, even if I did find myself wondering what the heck her neighbors thought of her yelling from her window... seriously, they'd be able to hear their entire conversations! And, toward the end of the book I was really enjoying them together. They're late-night training sessions/hang out time was lovely, and I wanted more of that. More of the development of their relationship.
I do understand that a lot needed to be brought to light in this book, and in order to do that in a short amount of time we needed to take time away from our hero and heroine... I just wish it didn't have to be that way!

As for supporting characters, I liked Heather. And, I look forward to seeing how she comes into play in the future books. Cal, however, starts off fine, and slowly turns to creep-dom. I feel bad for him - and is he even still around in the end?! - but seriously, pull yourself together man!

Overall, I enjoyed the premise of the book, and Lesley's writing is never bad!
So, it gets 3 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment